Question:
Seniors, how much did it cost to play the jukebox in the 50's & 60's?
leftcoastliz
2013-01-03 01:02:37 UTC
per song or per 3 songs or 5, whatever you remember or whatever you can find out. (Please give source.)

What does it cost now? I never go anyplace anymore where there's still a jukebox. Do they still have them? (What a homebody who doesn't even know!)
23 answers:
2013-01-03 07:41:47 UTC
Early 60s ... .10 cents ... I have proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6k3BEU1aQM
2013-01-03 04:21:09 UTC
There was a jukebox at the small hangout for kids at the lake we went to when I was a kid. That was my first experience with one. The songs were 3/25Β’. This would have been about 1961 or so. My cousin, who was a little older, had the best collection of 45's ever in the history of teenagers, and she used to get peeved when we would want to spend our hard earned quarters on something she already owned.

There is a jukebox at this one diner where we eat sometimes, but I've never looked at the prices, because it's all country music. It gets played a lot, though, when we're in there.
β™₯β™₯β™₯𝓨𝓸𝓾 𝓖𝓸 𝓖𝓲𝓻𝓡 β™₯β™₯β™₯
2013-01-03 08:44:15 UTC
I remember it was 5 cent and then it went up to 10 cent and then 25 cent in the 70's and 80's and now it is either 50 cent to a dollar. Some of them used to be a dollar for 3 songs so I don't know if they still do that.
?
2013-01-03 12:38:12 UTC
Three songs for a quarter! 60's

When I was in college, '80's, there was a small cafe' just off of the campus. They had a small jukebox at every table and amazingly, it was still three songs for a quarter! I've not seen any since that time.
DeeJay
2013-01-03 01:19:24 UTC
In 1957 - when my husband and I were dating - a quarter played 3 songs.

While dating - went out dancing - nearly every night for 7 months and I'm sure we - must have poured a small fortune into the jukebox.

Once we married - we went out - once a year - when we got our income tax refund back. They were still in operation into the 70's.

Now - I don't know. I've been home bound for many years - but sure do wish I could go out dancing - just one more time and find out - if they still have them.

I would bet they do in most all of the dance halls. Heck - I don't even know if they still have dance halls. LOL!

DeeJay - In the USA.
nappa
2013-01-03 03:05:56 UTC
back in the early 60's they were 10 cents or 3 for 25 cents. the coast now is 25 cents per song and the only place I have seen and used one was at johnny rockets , a fast food chain usually in malls that has the 50's 60's look.
?
2013-01-03 02:04:55 UTC
A nickle in the early 50s then a dime or three for a quarter late 50s and 60s.

Are there any jukeboxes anywhere now?
?
2016-11-14 00:23:25 UTC
50s Jukebox
?
2013-01-03 03:11:00 UTC
I remember 3 songs for a quarter, maybe early 60's. Now, it costs $1 per song on these fancy, digital (place every song written) jukeboxes.
?
2015-08-07 20:50:40 UTC
This Site Might Help You.

RE:

John
2013-01-04 00:30:47 UTC
I remember 3 songs for .25cents in 1969 , most Chinese Confectioners had a food counter or booths where you could eat, they would have a mini selector at each booth and on the counter.You could play the Juke Box right from your seat.

Then 7-11 came along and put them all out of business.The last song I played on a Juke Box was Hush by Deep Purple.I don't think they have them anymore even in bar's.
?
2013-01-03 04:24:34 UTC
WOW . . . I hadn't thought about a juke box in many years - but I instantly pictured every detail of my favorite Standard Drug booth (Cleveland OH) with the individual table selector for the Wurlitzer "bubbler" that played early 50s hits on 78 rpm records. Cherry Coke or Chocolate Phosphate. Yes, 3 songs for a quarter. And even us kids hated to see the "bubbler" finally replaced with a new box that played 45's......it had better sound, but wasn't nearly as much fun to watch. (wish I had the money and foresight to buy-up all those old "bubblers")

Glad to see so many others remember, too.
Husker41
2013-01-03 04:35:41 UTC
In the early fifties, a nickle would play a tune for you where I grew up, in rural Nebraska. I remember when it went up to ten cents, or three for a quarter, in some places, as I was in college then. I haven't seen a jukebox for a long, long time.
RB
2013-01-03 18:51:01 UTC
Hi Liz,

The cost I remember was 3 songs for a quarter. I don't know how much it is now.
?
2013-01-03 02:11:33 UTC
In the U.K. I believe that it was 6d (sixpence).

If you wanted only U.S. answers you should have made that clear in the main body of your question. We were not to know where you were until you added more information. This question appears on Yahoo U.K. pages also just as you receive our questions on your pages.

I'm probably referring to late 50s but jukeboxes were something I used very rarely as I would not have had money to spare.
Goddess of Laundry
2013-01-03 01:04:48 UTC
Ten cents each or three plays for a quarter, both in Canada, and the US, during the late fifties and sixties.

Haven't seen one in working order, in years.
2013-01-03 01:24:57 UTC
Three tunes for a quarter, and that was an hour's wages for a lot of teens.
?
2013-01-09 09:10:45 UTC
10 cents for one song, and 25 cents for three songs. I'd forgotten that
?
2013-01-03 07:10:30 UTC
3 plays for a quarter, this was in the mid-60s.
?
2013-01-03 01:34:22 UTC
i n the 50s in Britain 6 pence for two discs
Steve
2013-01-03 12:32:03 UTC
Earliest I remember, it was a nickel a song or it seemed like all afternoon for a quarter
Dave M
2013-01-03 16:35:31 UTC
Think a quarter gave you three picks as I recall.
Cole D
2013-01-03 01:07:02 UTC
IT costed one shilling in the UK.